Introduction to the history of the order
An exhibition which introduces you to the history, development and expansion of the Cistercian order along the filiation line of Morimond. This line, too, leads on to Altzella.
Film about the architectual history
The animation shows the architectual history of the monastery Altzella from 1162 until 1540. The film is available in German, English, Czech and Polish.
The architecture of the Cistercians
The monastery at Altzella was established in an exciting architectural period. Romanesque, Gothic and late Gothic influences had an effect on the grounds and can still be seen today. Read more about the architecture of the Cistercians.
The 'Sachsenspiegel' is the most important historical testimony of the medieval legal practice. The author, Eike von Repgow, maybe used the unique library of Altzella when he wrote the book about 1224. A multimedial Station in the library hall shows it and test the knowledge of visitors.
Memories of the forefathers – the Wettins
Altzella Monastery was an early grave of the Wettins, the margraves of Meissen. Twenty-six members of this family were buried here. The Mausoleum, builded in 1787, informs about the Wettins and their importance for Altzella.
Altzella Monastery Park
Zellaer Straße 10 | 01683 Nossen
Property of State Palaces, Castles and Gardens of Saxony, non profit
+49 (0) 35242 504-50
Admission & opening hours
- Full rate 5,00 EUR
- Reduced rate 2,50 EUR
- Full rate: EUR 5.00
- Reduced rate*: EUR 2.50
- 2 adults and up to 4 children**: EUR 12.00
- 1 adult and up to 2 children**: EUR 7.00
- Group rate (15 people and more): EUR 4.00 per person
- Group rate for pupils: EUR 1.50 per person
- Annual ticket: EUR 9.00
- Full rate: EUr 7.00
- Reduced rate*: EUR 4.00
- 2 adults and up to 4 children**: EUR 15.00
- 1adult and up to 2 children**: EUR 9.00
- Group rate (15 people and more): EUE 5.00 per person
- Guided tour surcharge: EUR 2.50 per person
- Guided tour surcharge for pupils: EUR 1.50 per person
- Minimum surcharge for guided tours: EUR 35.00
- Children aged 5 or younger
- People visiting the castle on their birthday
- Accompanying adults of severly disabled people (entry »B« iin the disability pass)
- Tour guides
- Tour bus drivers accompanying a tour group
- 1 accompanying adult per 10 pupils
- Journalists for reporting purposes (valid identification required)
- Holders of the schloesserlandPASS
Opening hoursMarch 25 to October 31, 2016
- Tue - Fri: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Sat, Sun, public holidays: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Subject to modifications.